Monday, October 13, 2008

Jobs I've Had

  1. Babysitting - I just realized I've been working since I was 14 if you count babysitting, which I definitely do
  2. Pizza place - When I was 15 I got a job at a pizza place on Kirby Parkway. I have no actual memories of this place.
  3. More babysitting - When we moved to Panama City Beach, I babysat a lot. A LOT.
  4. The Cleanery - That was really the name of it. It was both a dry-cleaners and a laundromat.
  5. The Delery - That wasn't really the name of it - it was a deli - but that's what Robin called it. I worked there until I moved back to Memphis.
  6. Work study - At MCA. I recall dusting and organizing the student supply store while everyone else sat around.
  7. Domino's - Answered the phones.
  8. Shoney's - But just for one night. One awful night.
  9. Kinko's - Waited on Memphis's dumbest people.
  10. Liquid chemical company on President's Island - I used to have nightmares about exploding liquid chemical companies.
  11. Bookstar - I believe I've mentioned this one before, where I got paid to alphabetize and to recommend books to people.
  12. Sofamor Danek - I think I worked there for 2 weeks. Not my best job.
  13. Kate's Antiques - Drew a lot of still-lifes here.
  14. Candle company - I was a candle maker.
  15. Internship at Ledbetter Lusk Gallery - Which got me an...
  16. Internship at UAC - Which got me...
  17. 10 years at UAC as Assistant Project Manager, Project Manager, Director of Public Art
  18. Professional Artist, also for 10 years

4 comments:

Mrs. Katherine said...

And then you bequeathed to me all of your babysitting clients when you got your real job--at the Cleanery.

Anonymous said...

i have a friend who also worked one horrible night at Shoney's.

Mel Spillman artwork said...

I worked one night at Shoney's too!!! I am so serious. How did we not know this about one another?

My night of greasy redneck hell was in Knoxville, perhaps 1995-ish. I think my hair was dyed pink at the time. How hot is that!

Memphis Urban Sketchers said...

We should start a club! Or a group on Facebook.