Sunday, May 2, 2010

Top 25 Favorite Books of All Time

Inspired by Brooke Foy's project for UrbanArt at Cordova Library/Bert Ferguson Park for which she is constructing huge concrete books of various titles into a maze and benches, I have put together a list of my top 25 books (not in order):

1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
2. Bluebeard, Kurt Vonnegut
3. Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut
4. The Elegance of the Hedgehog, Muriel Barbery
5. Fair and Tender Ladies, Lee Smith
6. Devil's Dream, Lee Smith
7. The Pleasure of my Company, Steve Martin
8. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
9. Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut
10. Suite Francais, Irene Nemirovsky
11. Skinny Legs and All, Tom Robbins
12. The Kitchen God's Wife, Amy Tan
13. Emma, Jane Austen
14. Mansfield Park, Jane Austen
15. The Sirens of Titan, Kurt Vonnegut
16. The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
17. The Florentine Papers, Thom Palmer
18. Breakfast of Champions, Kurt Vonnegut
19. Siddhartha, Hermann Hesse
20. Love Medicine, Louise Erdrich
21. Tracks, Louise Erdrich
22. Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
23. About a Boy, Nick Hornby
24. Franny and Zooey, JD Salinger
25. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, JRR Tolkein

P.S. I made this list about two months ago, and some of these surprised me as I typed them. I'll just take my word for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would have about a third of these on my list.

Out of his whole catalog, #23 would be last on my list of his work.