Friday, June 1, 2012

Exploring Memory

While working on a new series of paintings during this week's Studio Night, I needed a little inspirational help. I don't know where you go for inspirational help, but I go to facebook. I asked all my friends there for recommendations of art, novels, and music about memory, and here are the recommendations I received:


Art
Richter's black and white paintings of family
Clyde Connell's post and gate series of sculptures
Salvador Dali - Persistence of Memory

Novels/Books
Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
Haruki Murakami - Kafka on the Shore
Joan Didion - The Year of Magical Thinking
Joan Didion - Blue Nights
Joan Didion - Where I Was From
Joan Didion - Play It As It Lays
Vladimir Nabakov - Speak, Memory
Roland Barthes - Camera Lucida
Virginia Woolf - Moments of Being
W.G. Sebold - Austerlitz
Anne West - Mapping - An Explorative Guide to Making, Thinking & Writing
Richard Cytowic - The Man Who Tasted Shapes
Proust - Remembrance of Things Past
Donald Westlake - Memory
Dave Eggers - What Is The What
Sites of Memory (essays)
anything by James Joyce

Music
Beatles - "I Forgot to Remember To Forget"
Beatles - "In My Life"
John Mayer - "83"
The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society (album)
Simple Minds - "Don't You Forget About Me"
PM Dawn - "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss"
311 - "Freeze Time"
Barbara Streisand - "The Way We Were"

Bonus! Movie
Memento
















Feel free to comment with more recommendations...

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Book- Before I Go to Sleep by SJ Watson

Memphis Urban Sketchers said...

Cool, thanks!