Thursday, January 17, 2008

Guestlist: 100 Things about Katherine

By my favorite sister, Katherine, mother of Harper. I thought it would be fun to put her list here because:
1. it's a list,
2. she is more fun than I am so will therefore have a more interesting list, and
3. I am too chicken to go beyond the 25 I have already given you, Internet.
She obsessed about possibly mentioning her foot hygiene too much, and if she did she apologizes.

100 Things about Katherine
  1. I was born on April 1st, 1977.
  2. I have heard the same jokes about my birthday for 30 years.
  3. My thumbs are short and bulbous.
  4. I drink milk with dinner (at home).
  5. The most disgusting thing in the world to me is when people share dairy products. They leave a visible film and it’s gross.
  6. When I was 8, I fell on my permanent teeth and knocked the front two loose.
  7. I knocked the one to the left of my front two (or #10 as the professionals call it) completely out, root and all.
  8. My brother found the tooth in a sidewalk crack, and the doctors put it back in.
  9. Later, my brother would torture me by telling me that he found that tooth in a pile of dog poop.
  10. I now have an implant formerly known as tooth #10.
  11. I have had many, many root canals and other procedures thanks to that accident.
  12. I once fell asleep during a root canal, only to be awakened by my own loud snoring.
  13. I have never had a cavity.
  14. I love being married; he’s my best friend.
  15. Becoming a mom made me twice as happy as I already was which I didn’t even know was possible.
  16. My husband and I had our first date at a gay bar.
  17. Coincidentally, we currently live in a predominantly gay city.
  18. Our second date consisted of Mexican food and him flying me around Pensacola in a very small plane despite my innate fear of flying and a very bad hangover (mine, not his).
  19. Our decision to move to South Florida went like this: Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale—pick one.
  20. I lived in St. Louis for 1 year.
  21. While I was there, I planned a wedding to be held in Pensacola.
  22. My mom is the smartest person I know.
  23. I miss my big brother and sister and their families so much that I would move just to be closer to them (but not to Memphis).
  24. We cannot move from this part of the country until my youngest brother graduates from high school in 2011.
  25. I miss the South so much.
  26. However, I do love all of the different cultures down here.
  27. I have put my road rage in check since I’ve had a baby.
  28. I am technically the middle of 5 kids.
  29. I am also the youngest of 3.
  30. For a while, I was the oldest of 3.
  31. I am one thesis away from a Masters in Communications.
  32. I want to go back to school for a degree in Education.
  33. I used to be an agent at Elite Model Management.
  34. I was on the math team in 8th grade.
  35. I still use my fingers to add and subtract.
  36. I am not good at any sports, not even exercising.
  37. I have no real talents.
  38. I love yoga.
  39. After graduating from college, I drove across country to help my friend Audra move to California.
  40. Then I flew home by myself—my first time flying.
  41. I lived in a different apartment with a different roommate each year for the 5 years that I lived in Pensacola.
  42. I did not like living alone.
  43. I was voted class clown my senior year of high school.
  44. I graduated from high school #13 in my class.
  45. I love cable network reality shows—The Hills, The Real Housewives of Orange County, House Hunters, etc.
  46. I like to watch TV commercials.
  47. I think side-by-side refrigerators are stupid because you can’t fit a pizza box in them.
  48. I love office supplies—especially post-its.
  49. I wish I knew more about the Bible.
  50. I have known my sister-in-law and brother-in-law since I was about 9 years old.
  51. I cannot sing or dance at all.
  52. I have an entire, choreographed dance routine to ‘Footloose’ in my head.
  53. I can (and do) tell my sister anything.
  54. Scattergories is my favorite game.
  55. I (a Florida resident) did not vote in 2000 and specifically remember saying the night before the election that my one little vote wouldn’t make a difference.
  56. I smoked cigarettes for 10 years.
  57. I love fashion but cannot afford to show it.
  58. I was not allowed to drive until I was 17.
  59. I met my best friend in high school, Jennifer, because I asked her for a ride somewhere.
  60. My labor started when my water broke.
  61. The power went out as we were leaving for the hospital, and I panicked because I thought God was telling me that I’d better hurry up!
  62. I had a c-section the next morning.
  63. I have always been envious that my older brother and sister are so close in age.
  64. I live my life with the Golden Rule in mind.
  65. I think having your feelings hurt is the worst feeling in the world.
  66. I am a smart ass, but apparently it’s genetic.
  67. I often end up apologizing for something I’ve said or done after obsessing about it for a while.
  68. I tend to get very anxious and obsessive.
  69. Being with my husband has calmed me down a lot.
  70. I get so excited every time I go to the daycare to pick the baby up.
  71. I always try to be open-minded.
  72. I do not like when fathers say they are “babysitting” their own kids.
  73. I love sage green.
  74. I cry during Bill Pullman’s speech in ‘Independence Day’ every time.
  75. Dinner is my favorite meal, and I like to have seconds.
  76. I do not think fruit is a dessert; it’s fine for breakfast or for a snack.
  77. I love the idea of a pedicure but am freaked out by stories of dirty foot utensils and infections.
  78. When I suck it up and get a pedicure anyway, I have to close my eyes and grip the armrests during the part where they scrape the bottoms of my feet.
  79. Some nights, I put Vaseline on my feet and wear socks to bed to make up for my lack of pedicures.
  80. When I wear flats, I put deodorant on the bottom of my feet to keep them from getting sweaty. I have a separate stick for this.
  81. I am totally attached to the Boppy.
  82. I would love to produce and organize photo shoots for magazines and catalogs.
  83. I think that leggings and tights look totally cute, but I feel that I let them wear out their welcome the first time they were in style and will not revisit that trend again.
  84. I like to sing songs about everything in spite of #51.
  85. There was a period in my life when I had to watch ‘Friends’ everyday.
  86. When I am given a shot to do with a group of people, 9 times out of 10 I throw it over my shoulder or dump it on the floor.
  87. I like to treat myself to an US Weekly from time to time.
  88. I enjoy trying new recipes when they don’t call for some funky tool like a sifter or double boiler.
  89. I have never read a Nick Hornby book that I didn’t like.
  90. I am fortunate in that I am able to only work part time and count it as a blessing every day.
  91. I still can’t believe that I’m an adult.
  92. When I have guests over for dinner, I feel obligated (as a Southerner) to offer sweet tea.
  93. I like even numbers.
  94. I sometimes put things I’ve already done on my To Do lists just to ensure that I’ll be able to cross something off.
  95. I grew up watching General Hospital.
  96. My favorite dessert is ice cream.
  97. I like to write—the actual physical act of writing with pen or pencil on paper.
  98. I regret a lot of the decisions I made in college, for example, majoring in psychology.
  99. I get asked about my accent on a regular basis.
  100. I always check to make sure the stove is off, even when I haven’t used it.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

14.
15.
23.
27.
31.
37.
47.
48.
51.
56. (and, of course, E's #10)
65.
68.
69.
72. That makes me homicidal.
76.
87.
95.

Somehow it escaped my knowledge that Harper has her own blog. It should come as no surprise that she and Chloe have the same nursery bedding.

Sassy Molassy said...

And if you ever buy Katherine ice cream for dessert, do not get "something stupid, like peach!"

Stacey Greenberg said...

86! and 98!! yes!